Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dandylion recipe

I am so tired of winter. It came in October and has tried to freeze us to death for the past 4 months, and it isn't through with us yet. I decided to share a photo of the flowers that will be blooming by my front door if spring decides to come. Tomorrow is ground hog day, so that means about 6 more weeks to spring. I listened to the gardeners on WHO radio at work today. Sure gives you spring fever. I am so anxious for something fresh from the yard, the dandylions are in danger of being eaten as soon as they get the nerve to poke their yellow heads out. I like to dip the flowers in a thin pancake batter, then fry them. Add light sprinkle of salt..yum!(Do not sop them with water before you dip them in the batter, just knock the ants out and check for other critters, though it would not hurt you if you happen to eat one.) The young greens are great as a salad, or they can be cooked like spinach. If you have enough patience to dig out enough crowns, steam them, lightly salt and pepper and add a little butter. Oh! I can hardly wait. A word of caution.. do not harvest dandylions where they might have been sprayed. Not healthy to eat any of that poisen. I have my dear husband convinced his life is in danger if he gets near our lawn with weed killer. I use many of the 'weeds' growing in the grass. Some as herbal remedies, other for food. Enjoy the Dandylion Recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment