Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Devonia and Bluebells

Devonia swap meet and Bluebell fields

It was sooo cold for the Devonia Swap Meet. Anyone that had blankets or quilts for sale in their booth, as well as sweatshirts, sold out. I wish I would be ready for the pair of peacocks that were for sale. They were so beautiful, but Alfie is a bit too young to teach not to chase the peacocks. I'm sure he would have pestered the life out of that male, by chasing those impressive tail feathers.

As I stopped by Mike's Chicken Place, the caged goose had just laid an egg. The kids hovering around that booth was so excited, they thought a photo should be taken. If you look closely at the cage, you will see that egg near the rear end of the goose. Cute little kids, hunh?!!

Mike is pretty good at promoting. He set up a contest that would end the swap meet with lots of memories and excitement for the kids. He duct taped a $5 bill to the leg of a guinea hen, clipped her wings so she would not fly away, and planned to turn her loose and let the kids chase and catch her. Who ever caught her got to keep the hen and the $5. If mom would not allow them to take the hen home, they could bring it back to him and he would buy it from them for another $5.

About the last thing before ending the swap meet was a hillbilly auction. I had never stayed long enough to see one, so this time I decided to stay. Let me tell you, it certainly was hillbilly.. the red capped lady was a perfect example. They were selling her left overs from the 2 day swap, and she was running the show... big time. Usually you leave that part up to the auctioneer. I reconized him as a professional that sells machinery and parts to Don and Fred. He does a real fine job the first Monday of every month. The rest of the auction went rather normal, selling a mtorcycle, books, knives, what have you. I must say, that red capped lady was VERY entertaining.

There was a very friendly goat there, but I decided not to ruffle Don's and Fred's feathers by bringing it home. Lots of dogs, of every variety. It was fun to see the new owners looking lovingly at their new pooches and telling them how handsome or beautiful they were. And the little red hen I almost bought turned out to be a rooster. He sure was handsome, but not a good thing to try to put him in with our grey silky rooster.

The next Devonia swap meet is in the Fall. It is usually pretty cold about that time as well.



The Bluebells were in full bloom, so we stopped by a favorite feild of them on the way home from the swap. It was not very sunny, so the blue flowers do not show up too well in the photo.. but they were absolutely stunning in person. I caught Donya taking a photo of Sally, so snapped one. The photo Donya took is just beautiful. And one I took of her, using her camera, was perfect as well. I must borrow her camera so I can download a few photos to share on my blog.

Till later... got garden to plant, you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment